Exploring Eaglecrest by mountain bike is all done by your own pedal power - there is no lift served mountain bike access at Eaglecrest. Whether you ride up and down the Summer Trail, ride the Sourdough Mountain Bike Trail or pedal down to the Treadwell Ditch on the Lower Nordic Trail, biking at Eaglecrest can be fun and challenging!
For your safety - please stay off and clear of all ski area machinery including chairs as they may move unexpectedly at any time.
The Summer Trail is a multi-use trail that runs from the Eaglecrest's Base Area to the top of the Ptarmigan Chair as well as the top of the Black Bear Chair. It is approximately two miles to the top of the Ptarmigan Chair with an elevation gain of 1,500 feet. Bikers are urged to use caution and yield to hikers. Maintenance vehicles may also be encountered at any time.
Lower Nordic Trail
This is a multi-use hardened trail that runs from the Eaglecrest Base 1.3 miles down to Fish Creek and the historic Treadwell Ditch. In the winter season, it is part of Eaglecrest's Nordic Trail System. The The trail has a hardened surface and it uneven in spots. Please exercise caution when riding.
Funded by a grand from the Alaska Trail Initiative and constructed by Trail Mix and Eaglecrest Staff, the Lower Nordic Trail runs from Eaglecrest's Porcupine Lodge to Fish Creek.
Sourdough Downhill Mountain Bike Trail
The Sourdough Mountain Bike Trail is a downhill flow trail that is being built in two phases. Phase 1 of the trail was completed in Summer 2015 and can be accessed off the Summer Trail where it intersects the Sourdough Trail. Phase 2 will finish the trail to the top of the Hoooter Chair. The completion date is dependent on funding.
Phase 1 of the trail was
funded through an Alaska State Parks Recreational Trails Grant awarded
to the Juneau Mountain Bike Alliance with additional support from
community donations and Eaglecrest. Trail construction by SJS
Excavation and community volunteers.
- Ride at your own risk
- The Sourdough Mountain Bike Trail is unsupervised
- Helmets and protective gear are recommended
- Ride downhill only, NO hiking on trail
- Inspect the trail slowly your first time through
- Features can be dangerous in any conditions
- Ride within your abilities
- Stay on the trail, respect trail signage and closures
- Do not modify trail or features
- Ride Safe! Be aware of other riders at all times
Plan Ahead and Be Prepaired
- Know where you are going. Make a trip plan before you go; where you are going, when you will be back, & who knows you are going
- Wear proper clothing & footwear; be prepared for changing weather conditions. Bring plenty of food, water and other essential items. There is no water available on the mountain
- There are composting toilets at the Eagle's Nest which is at the top of the Ptarmigan Chair
- Remember you are in the wilderness - rescue may take some time to get you
Tread lightly & Leave No Trace
- Only ride on trails, you are in a fragile alpine environment
- Pack out everything you bring in with you, including your trash
- Please clean up after your dob
- Be considerate of others
- Be BEAR aware!
- Respect Wildlife - you are in their home
- Leave rocks, flowers, plants etc for others to enjoy