The Summer Trail runs from Eaglecrest's Base Area to the top of the Ptarmigan Chairlift and the top of the Black Bear Chairlift. This trail meanders across the ski trails on the lower and east side of the mountain. Hikers will enjoy wildflowers, alpine meadows and scenic vistas. The Summer Trail is a multi-use for both hikers and bikers. Maintenance vehicles may be encountered at any time. No unauthorized vehicles are allowed. Below is a table of landmarks and distances along the Summer Trail.
For your safety - please stay off and clear of all ski area machinery including chairs as they may move unexpectedly at any time.
|Bottom of Ptarmigan Chair
|Phase 1 start of Sourdough MBT
|Bottom of Black Bear Chair
|Black Bear Access Trail
|Top of Inside Passage Trail
|Top of the Throat
|The "Y" in Easy Bowl
|Eagle's Nest/Top of Ptarmigan
|Top of Black Bear Chair
Trail Report as of June 6, 2017:
Summer Trail is clear of snow to the top of Ptarmigan
The Lower Nordic Trail is clear of snow all the way to Fish Creek
Photo taken from the bottom of the Black Bear Chair looking back down the mountain
Black Bear - Hooter Access Trail
This multi-use trail runs from the bottom of the Black Bear Chairlift to the Top of the Hooter Chairlift.
To reach the trail you will have to hike 1.0 miles up the Summer Trail until you reach the bottom of the Black Bear Chairlift. The Black Bear to Hooter access road is approximately 150 yards above the bottom of the Black Bear Chair off to your right. The Black Bear Access Trail is 0.19 miles long.
The trail, completed in 2015, offers a new summer view of Eaglecrest as it meanders through the alpine slopes.
Photo take from the top of the Hooter Chair looking back down the Black Bear Access trail
Lower Nordic Trail
This is a multi-use trail to be shared with other bikers and hikers. In the winter season, it is part of Eaglecrest's Nordic Trail System. The 2.2 mile trail eventually meets up with the Treadwell Ditch Trail and makes it one of Juneau's most spectacular and accessible hikes! The trail has a hardened surface and it uneven in spots. Please exercise caution.
Funded by a grand from the Alaska Trail Initiative and constructed by Trail Mix and Eaglecrest Staff, the Lower Nordic Trail runs from Eaglecrest's Porcupine Lodge to Fish Creek.
Photo taken along the lower Nordic Trail
Plan Ahead & Be Prepared
- Know where you are going. Make a trip plan before you go: where you are going, when you will be back, & who knows your are going
- Wear proper clothing & footwear; be prepared for changing weather conditions. Bring plenty of food, water and other essential items. There is no water available on the mountain
- There are composting toilets at the Eagle's Nest at the top of the Ptarmigan Chair
- Remember you are in the wilderness - rescue may take some time to get to you
Tread Lightly & Leave No Trace
- Watch were you step - you are in a fragile alpine environment, please treat it with care.
- Pack out everything you bring in with you including your trash.
- Please clean up after your dog.
- Be considerate of other hikers and bikers & keep your dog under control at all times.
- Be Bear Aware!
- Respect wildlife - you are in their home
- Leave rocks, flowers, plants etc. for all to enjoy